Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Adam Joined the Utah National Guard

Our family right before Adam swore in.

Adam joined the Utah National Guard today! He signed up for the next 6 years. He is going to be in Military Intelligence as an Officer.

Adam approached me with the idea a while ago and I immediately shut it down. It's something he's wanted to do for a long time and when we started looking at prospective jobs in his desired career path they all wanted military experience. So, after researching it out, praying, fasting and going to the temple with whether or not this was the right direction for our family, I was blessed pretty quickly with the reassurance that this choice would be okay for our family. Being reassured that the military was the right path for our family didn't make the decision easier for me, because in the next few months Adam will spend a lot of time away from our family. It makes me sad to think about everything he will miss out on with Elaina and now with our baby on the way, but I feel good about our decision and know that the distance will only make us stronger.

It has now been over 15 weeks since our decision. In that time Adam has been doing paper work, physicals and everything else nessesary to get us to today when he can be sworn in. I'm so proud of Adam. He is a great father, husband and provider. Adam will serve our country well. I'm proud of the decisions he's made for our family. I know that there is a chance that Adam could be deployed but I don't think about that. I will deal with it when it might come.

As for now Adam is leaving for Basic Training in Georgia April 27th and will return home July 6th. Right in time for our baby's due date of July 15th. We like to be on our toes and do things the hard way in our family. I'm sure everything will work out just fine. It's an exciting time for our family.

Adam swearing in.

2 comments:

Adam Sink said...

That's exciting! I'll bet it feels good to not have to wait anymore. Congrats again on the baby!

-Alicia on Adam's computer

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on the new adventure in your family and the up coming baby. Best of Luck:)